April 17, 2008

Love After Love by Derek Walcott

by Derek Walcott

The time will come
when, with elation,
you will greet yourself arriving
at your own door, in your own mirror,
and each will smile at the other's welcome,

and say, sit here, Eat.
You will love again the stranger who was your self.
Give wine, Give Bread, Give back your heart to itself, to the stranger who has loved you

all your life, whom you ignored
for another, who knows you by heart.
Take down the love letters from the bookshelf,

the photographs, the desperate notes,
peel your own image from the mirror.
Sit. Feast on your life.

3 comments:

  1. (tearful) ..yay...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I put a direct link on the side of my blog because I NEED to read this poem over and over again.

    Yes, it makes me tear up and it makes my heart go 'plunk' but it always always reminds me that no one can love me enough if I do not love myself.

    Loves,
    CZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's such a welcome read again today, when yet again my intentions are misunderstood and I am misjudged.

    We really DO need to see, and know our own good selves, and trust in it even when other voices express the contrary.

    yer a good heart CZ!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...